Tuesday, January 29, 2008

waxing

I am a woman who hates waxing. There are many reasons for this aversion. Firstly, it’s painful beyond belief to have someone pull the hair on your arms, legs & worst of all underarms by the roots. Secondly, it’s not cheap. Thirdly, the effects are too transient and the whole exercise has to be repeated regularly. Let me go over my points in more detail.

Experts say enduring pain is a question of mind over matter. If you control your mind, you can control your body and hence intense pain can be blocked even during torture (from accounts of world war prisoners). So I apply this principle diligently to the matter of waxing. I never cry out – I always manage to contain the pain but it still hurts like crazy and that has not changed in the years I have been subjecting myself to this wonderful system of hair removal. The second point is to express my misery at actually having to pay large amounts of money to endure this pain in spite of not being a masochist by any stretch of the imagination. The third point is my real bugbear – this self-induced means of hurting myself and my wallet for the specific purpose of achieving diva-like smooth skin is further compounded by the much-desired smoothness lasting for about two weeks. Worse , then follows a stage where you can see incipient dark beginnings of hair popping all over the place but you can’t do anything about those because they are too small!! And post that, you reach is the ape-look-alike stage by which time you gleefully submit to the waxing yet again.

I must be an incurable optimist. Otherwise why would I do this over and over again with the futile hope of seeing the hair growth diminish and at least after a decade, hope for minimal hair on my arms? The funny thing is that I am no means a person who dresses up royally or spends money on cosmetics. Most things don’t agree with my skin so I leave it as it is. I don’t go into a tizzy over having my hands and feet baby-soft or obsess over whether I have a bag to match ever outfit. This depilatory tendency of mine is just because I like looking and feeling smooth. That surely is not too much to ask of God, is it?

No comments: