Friday, January 18, 2008

a kind of beauty...

Is beauty so blinding that every other fault becomes acceptable or invisible? I find that quite often this is so. Take the case of a famous Bollywood actress here in India – undoubtedly she is beautiful – looking at her is as restful as looking at wonderful scene out of nature. Her features are perfectly symmetric and altogether her form is very pleasing to the eye. But she can’t act for nuts. She can’t talk for nuts either and her high pitched giggle is intolerable. I cringed when I saw her on Oprah. I have seen wooden cupboards that can do a better job at acting. My four year old daughter can definitely beat her hands down. Her eyes are gorgeous but without expression of any sort save the “I know I am beautiful” look. She tries to look like she is in love and she turns out looking constipated. She tries to act like she is happy and she looks like she’s grimacing because the smile never once reaches her eyes. And yet she is idolized by millions and her movies are usually super hits. I cannot see why it is impossible for everyone except a few of us to perceive her lack of talent. But I do have to mention that the few movies this lady has done for the Western audience have fallen flatter than a pancake thrown from a 10 storey building. So there’s at least hope ….

No comments: