Wednesday, January 16, 2008

an adjustment of love

I recently saw a program on TV in which some numerologist was being interviewed. I know neither his name nor how he came to be so – I caught only the second half of the programme. Usually I have no belief in numerology, and indeed that part of what he said was still open to doubt according to me, but what he said about a few other things and the way he expressed himself was very interesting. He mentioned many aspects of his trade and also said that there are many times in life when options open up and we fail to recognize or utilize them. This was said mainly in the context of marriages, by which I mean arranged marriages of course. According to him a person has a few instances in his or her life where he or she can possibly get married. If these are ignored, then desperation kicks in and as one’s age progresses, almost anyone of the opposite sex begins to be considered good enough.

That is something I have observed happening to friends and family around me. Moreover, he said that love alone cannot be the basis of any marriage – without looking at horoscopes and family backgrounds, the marriages do happen but they don’t last. Also, marriages are successful with just adjustments and have no real need for love in order to be viewed as stable or happy. These statements will have a lot of people protesting but there will be an equal number somewhere at various homes smiling and nodding if they hear this. I will continue later …

No comments: