Wednesday, January 16, 2008

a friend

I have a few friends - a few people whom I have given that title to because they mean a lot to me. I hope that I mean a lot to them too. I have often prided myself on my judgement and congratulated myself on being able to discern a good friend amidst a crowd. I have trusted people whom no one else would and I have seen the good in some though it was hiddden rather deep and all in all have been extremely lucky in keeping most of the friends I have made over the years.

But I have erred a few times - a couple of times in college and one more recently. This friend meant a lot to me. I found time to think about him in a day filled with office and home and untold small tasks to be taken care of. I tried to put up with the moodiness ,the frequent shutting off from me and have more than once considered throwing the whole friendship out of the window because it seemed not worth my time at all.But whereas I have no patience with anything else, with friends its a different matter. Their problems are mine - I want them to be successful even more than I want it for myself - I rejoice in their every victory - I don't think my blood relatives have inspired that kind of love in me because these are my chosen ones. But this last friend did not deserve anything like that because he never understood it - of course it was my fault for judging wrongly but it still hurts. Hurts on many levels and so I let go - bye former friend - one of my mistakes and maybe a setback when it comes to making new friends.

No comments: