Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Complexed

The women in this complex give me a complex. I have no clue how most of them seem well-informed on the most inane means by which to waste money. I had to attend a birthday lunch of a neighbor yesterday and while she is very down-to-earth, most of the rest of the guests were of a species that can best be described as the version 1.1 of the female since the basic version which I belong to needs to get too many upgrades before qualifying for 1.1 status. These women don't just get clothes stitched, they get them custom-made - hence they don't go to tailors but to designers :-(. They also have impeccably neat homes whereas mine resembles a painter's dream (drug-induced!) and would put Salvador Dali to shame. My kids have actually destroyed the walls (its not like I have not tried stopping them but live-in maids when I was working did the trick - what have they got to lose if the kids want to crayon the walls to death?) and I don't allow any of my actual friends to come home for sheer shame. Back to female version1.1 - they talk about manicures, pedicures, all kinds of waxing and blueberry cheesecake (I love that part :-)) and of course sex. It would have been fine if they just came out and talked about sex directly but its kind of oblique and pops up in unwarranted moments. As in "you have a cold? - is your husband back from his trip to ’x’ (take your pick - London, Paris, Bangkok, New York...) - well, then go have sex - I guarantee your cold will not last the night”. You get my drift? I have to mention here that I did not make up the aforementioned conversation at all - it actually happened! The only thing I've learned from this is that 1.1 is definitely not backward compatible - I feel like a complete freak but on the bright side look at what I get to write!

No comments: