Saturday, January 12, 2008

for our kids

I tell all my friends that I am not a good mom but I am a great wife ;-).I say so because I lack patience, I get irritated at the slightest annoying trait like whining which my son does in abundance while my daughter is stubborn to the point of no return. But I realise that that's not the only charecteristic that is required. I do have fun with them at rare moments and I hope they treasure that once grown up. My husband is a very dedicated dad and the favourite parent any day.While normal days find me at my wits' end wondering how to communicate with my son and forcing him to sit down for a bit and write or read, the days they are sick, I become a total mom. I can neither eat nor sleep - I am grouchy but unable to take a break. The past 30 hours saw us taking care of my daughter non-stop. It was her fourth birthday on Friday and late at night around 1 o'clock , she started throwing up.It went on all night and continued till 5 the next evening - not one of us had a minute's rest. My head was exploding with pain and lack of sleep but i managed to keep her somewhat active despite her dehydration because seeing her lie quietly with a blank expression broke my heart. She could not drink even a drop of water without instantly vomitting and she lost a kilo overnight. Poor kid - after trips to the doctor and trying out various home remedies she stabilized sometime least night and drifted off to sleep. We took her back to the doctor for a final check up ( he was thinking of admitting her to the hospital since she was dangerously dehydrated ) and he said she would be okay for the night. After soem 6 hours of solid sleep I woke feeling refreshed and with no memory of the hard hours we passed.

That's what parents do. We can't help it - I may not be a good mother but I am a mother - someone who cannot think of herself first. Being a parent brings one out of the constant state of obssession about what the world thinks of one or how to impress everyone or how to make sure that every detail of one's appearanceis just right - not that any of that is wrong but being able to rise above it is definitely a step forward in evolution. Hurrah to all parents :-)

No comments: