Monday, February 16, 2009

The perfect moment...

It was a really hot afternoon. Our car which was recently banged up in an accident did not return from the garage despite repeated follow-ups. So we took a taxi to the school carnival. Appu was excited about going in a taxi even if it meant that he was going to be hot and sticky and cramped.Mahi was less excited about the means of travel – rather she was excited about the carnival and the promise of meeting friends. I just wanted to get it over with.

The carnival was set up in a bare ground next to the school. A few stalls were set up as well as a merry-go-round. I bought some coupons and had the kids go for a ride. One of Appu's teachers came along and said that Appu's recitation would be right after the opening song. I nodded gravely while the butterflies attacked my stomach with a vengeance. How many times had I gone to 'performances' by my son only to shake my head sadly at his sincere but ridiculous displays! Oh he tried , my brave little one but he was always bundled in the 'special' category and the applause was usually out of pity rather than genuine admiration. I did not look forward to such a display again. I did not have him practice at home and indeed I believed it to be a complete waste of time. My husband was still on his way and I hoped he would be in time to watch our son because however painful it was for us, we definitely didn't want to let our son down by not being in the front row encouraging him.

In just a few minutes, the opening song started. I panicked thinking my husband would not be on time. Then I took Appu's hand and told him how he must tell the story in front of the mike and to be sure to do a good job. He told me he didn't want to speak into any mike. I told him I wouldn't hear him without a mike so he must try his best. By that time the song had ended and just as the teacher was approaching, my husband called saying he had made it to the main road but could I take the taxi to pick him up – I said I couldn't for then both of us would miss Appu's program. So it turned out that his dad never made it on time and my mom and I nervously watched the stage where the teacher had set up the mike not quite straight so Appu had to bend a little to speak into it.

The teacher announced Appu's story recitation. He started speaking holding the mike stand with one hand and the other hand held behind his back. He spoke clearly with a lot of expression and the right amount of emphasis. In between he smiled at me and his teacher. He frowned at the right places and stressed the right words and wound up with a flourish and a “The End!”. Everyone clapped. I overheard other parents saying how good he was. His teachers had tears running from their eyes. I stood dry-eyed bursting with pride and hugged him tight. My mother kept crying. It was the most perfect moment for me. Even if I am not allowed another like it I shall cherish it like nothing else – the image of my son standing proud and confident enthralling an audience with his words ...

No comments: