Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Good deeds

My father was a generous soul. A man with a huge laugh, a big temper and an utterly generous heart. He gave and gave of himself till there was nothing left to give. He helped people even when he found himself with nothing in his pocket. By today’s standards he was a failure. He never made any money. But that never deterred him from continuing to help people. More often than not he was rewarded with ingratitude but that didn’t faze him. He always said that it is the good acts that we do that is the greatest gift we can give our children.
Many times I have resented my parents for never letting me join any extracurricular activity while in school because the extra fees were difficult for them to pay. I never understood how my father could feed as many as twenty people every weekend but not find the money to pay for a dancing class. Perhaps because it was considered frivolous or inessential. Many times I have felt bad because I saw the way my relatives sniggered behind his back about his devotion to his chosen guru and grumbled because he didn’t get them jobs in the Gulf or pay money for them to get something or the other. My father’s three children never demanded anything of him and I firmly believe it is because of that that all of us managed to do reasonably well in life. We never whined but took our lack of comforts in our stride growing up.
At times when I least expect it, I get help from people that I cannot possibly repay even in gratitude. At times like that I remember my father fondly – with his acts of generosity he has ensured that I would never want for help. I have also found out that the people you help out are the ones least likely to help you back – so never expect it. Instead repay a good deed with another so that what goes around comes around and keep the spirit of generosity alive so that your children will be blessed with the greatest gift of all.

No comments: