Thursday, January 30, 2014

Back Attack



I put my back out for no particular reason other than a desire to wear socks this morning. As the tell-tale pain crept down my spine, I sighed irritably. I knew the symptoms of my finicky lower back. I also knew that the pain though mild now would get worse before it got better and if I so much as lifted a water bottle I would feel that lance of pain stronger than ever. So I gently took my hungry self downstairs and just sat uselessly. S had to deal with breakfast and sending Mahi off.

He then cleared out a cot and spread a mat on it and made me lie on that so that my back would ease itself out. I did as instructed but soon got bored. I looked at the unmade beds. I listed out in my mind the things I had to do but couldn’t.  I was literally twitching in frustration. And then I decided to let it be. I let the sun streaming from the window warm me as settled in with a book in the position I found to be least painful. I was soon lost in the simple story and relaxed quite naturally. Appu came to check on me. He massaged my head thinking that that was the key to solving all problems. He also got me a bottle of water and climbed on the cot for a hug and a cuddle. The kid has so much empathy it amazes me.

S and Appu left for the centre and to run errands. S insisted on telling me clearly to not take a shower till he was back so that he could help if need be. I nodded meekly enough but had no intention of listening to all of that. So I waited till they left and managed to walk infinitely slowly to the shower and douse myself in enough hot water to parboil my poor back but it did leave me feeling much better. I then steam ironed my clothes even though all I would be doing was lying down. I hate being shabby even if I am merely lounging about the house. My partner Aks usually makes fun of me by asking if I look impeccably ironed even when asleep and I tell her of course I do – it’s the way I am!

I managed to keep myself from doing anything much the rest of the day. I needed to be sure to not miss work at the centre the next day. It was a new feeling to get so pampered. The kids were vying with each other to bring me little snacks and they kept checking to see if I needed anything. I felt so touched.  My little ones have grown up and they are acting more responsible than I ever believed they would.  

As the day draws to a close and I get back to my laptop for a little while because it is really too tempting to not get some work done, I realize that a day off occasionally is not too bad to take. I have confidence in my kids now – they can manage even when their mom is not at her best – such a reassuring feeling.

 Just before I get to bed I see that S has ironed the clothes the kids have to wear the next day since he was off on a business trip and wouldn’t be around to lend a hand. The sight of the clothes kept ready so that I would be spared one task moved me like nothing else. True, my husband was not one for showing his affection too much but in so many small unpretentious ways he left the signs of his care – not to be thanked but just to make us feel that he would always be there even for the little things. Sometimes it takes a bad back and a view of the ceiling to make you see things in a clearer light ….




No comments: