Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Bring it on...

I understand repeated hammerings can do beautiful things to metal giving it a texture, feel and appearance that is drastically different from the original and supposedly more alluring as well. That may work for metal. How does it work for human beings I wonder?

I am not writing a despondent note. Once ceases to be despondent after years of hammering anyway. I do remember vaguely the years long ago when I really did not have a care in the world and the hammering of fate was a distant nightmare. Such a happy girl I was in comparison to today. And yet today I have learnt to be happy with the smallest of things. Someone thinking of me and sending me an affectionate message. A compliment on my looks even when I feel like something the cat dragged in. A cup of tea someone actually makes for me. A little hand drawn card my daughter makes saying “you are the world’s best Amma” even if I have been hard on her that day. Hammering at least makes you seek joy wherever you can find it.

I have stopped asking the pointless question of why I seem to get all sorts of difficult situations dumped on me. I feel like I am specially marked out for all the wrong reasons sometimes. I rant and rail at fate. I break down many a time. I steel myself with a stiff upper lip at other times. Whatever mode I use to tackle the continuing stream of fate’s blows, I cope. My one saving grace is that given a little time, I can find some humour in any dire situation. That has saved me from losing my sanity over the years.

A few of my friends are somewhat surprised that there is so much going on in my life and I still pull through. It explains my basic negativity though. I get to a point where I feel somewhat content and on the cusp of happiness and wham! , there’s another blow with the cosmic baseball bat. I am wary of happiness. I am wary of letting go. I am really wary of relaxing. And yet with all this wariness I cope. It is truly amazing how much inner strength we each have that even we are completely unaware of.

Nobility does not lie in an accident of birth – it is a part of one’s character that you earn by being in difficult situations and not backing down or taking no for an answer. It is taking the more difficult path when there are many easier options available. It is looking at a belligerent fate and facing it with the courage born of anger, determination or even plain helplessness. Hammering does tend to impart that strength of character – being folded a thousand ways and beaten repeatedly ensures you never crack and though it leaves permanent scars, they are not necessarily disfiguring ones – in a certain light, they even possess an uncanny beauty.

It has also taught me one more thing - to be grateful at least occasionally for what I have – the strength to take what comes my way, a loving family that views me as some sort of superwoman, unexpected love that comes my way like a miracle, friends who believe in me way more than I have ever believed in myself and a sense of humour to laugh at it all in the very end for if you cannot laugh, you might as well give up now.

No comments: