Thursday, April 24, 2008

Unlicensed but determined

My husband has the nasty habit of selling any car I start to learn driving in. It usually takes me at least two to three years after the purchase of a car to have the guts to attempt driving it. And within a week he will sell it. I do not exaggerate – may I be stricken down with lightning or whatever from the heavens if I lie. See, I’m still typing so you can be assured that this is the God’s own truth.

Why he has the irresistible urge to sell when I am in the process of beginning to get comfortable with driving is a mystery to me. I think in his secret heart, he is afraid I’d destroy his property and hence sells it off at a loss on spying his wife behind the steering wheel. This time it was a month before the vehicle was disposed off. The reason is simple. I got my driver to give me lessons (see the damn thing has a clutch – why would I want to shift gears constantly? – I think I should just move it and the car should reasonably take care of the rest) in absolute secrecy so my husband never knew or saw. But as soon as I shyly confessed to him thinking to make him proud of me because I was driving real smooth, he congratulates me enthusiastically and starts muttering into his phone. Before the week is up – ta- daaa the car’s vanished!!!

Now we have only one car – to me it looks like a truck. I am sure my husband believes I will not attempt to drive a vehicle which (look this is India) can comfortably house two of the average cars on the road. Moreover its diesel. For you neophytes, a diesel engine is a far cry from a petrol engine and behaves very differently. Now today’s technology has created a very smooth diesel engine but its still not petrol. So while I have mastered the clutch (it’s a beauty) on the truck, it still lurches whenever I do anything with it. It lurches when I take my foot off the accelerator. It lurches when I change gears. I make the car look like an old lady hobbling across the street and am heartily ashamed. And tomorrow I take it and go for my driving test. Dear God, what have I done to deserve this? Will I never be licensed?!!

No comments: