Monday, February 4, 2008

a haunting melody

I have this song I love to hear. I cannot say why I like it exactly. It is a song about love but normally that doesn't mean much to me. But this singer's voice tugs at my heart unbelievably. My eyes fill up unknowingly. How can there be so much pathos and passion in a voice? I listen to it and visions of all the romantic moments in my life flash past in my mind - not only romantic moments but courageous ones, sad ones - indeed all the moments when my heart was totally involved. To have such an effect on a person, the song has to be pure and the voice as well. I am sure that if I get to know the scene in whichever movie this song comes from, I will be sorely disappointed. I know that if I know the details of the personal life of the singer I will be disappointed. I want to know nothing but the song itself and I don't want to mar its effect by trying to know more.

I wonder whether others have this same experience - I am sure they do. There must be some song that plays in your mind when you are at your lowest - something that pulls you up and inspires you. There will be some song that can kindle romance instantly. To each his own then and to the power of music :-)

No comments: