Friday, November 30, 2012

Learning to see...



How do you look at a person? What is it that starts the process of evaluation and judgment? At what point do you decide that the person is worthy of attention or common courtesy or even superficial interest? I guess that looks have a lot to do with it – a good voice influences people positively as well but more than anything a sincere smile does it for me. I love those who smile straight from the heart with none of the grimaces that an inflated sense of self-importance creates. When the smile reaches the eyes, it lights up the face from within – that is what I find most appealing about those I choose to have around me. S has this in abundance, so does my son – Mahi is growing a bit self-conscious but whenever she is her regular 8 year old self, she has the most dazzling smile indeed.

My little friend Riya smiles like the sun. She is  dark chocolate hued with bright eyes, glowing skin and perfectly proportioned limbs – a small-scaled joyous entity that never fails to make us all grin like kids. I lost my heart to her fairly early in our acquaintance as she sat quite composedly for ages as her mother went about her chores very very slowly! She would venture out of the kitchen hesitantly at first and then with increasing confidence as she realized we were quite alright with her exploring the house. She loves my puris and aloo and quite cheekily asks me for aloo every time I give her rotis with jam or any other accompaniment. She eats daintily, breaking her puris into little pieces and slowly relishing the aloo to make it last. She also grabs her glass and bangs it against the counter to focus my attention on the fact that she wants tea which she then emphasizes with a firm “Didiii, chaaaa!” I sometimes think I look like a walking tea urn to Riya :-)

This child fills our house with laughter and noise – yes sometimes too much noise as she is very headstrong and refuses to listen to anyone. Of course I am a bit stern with her but my husband thinks nothing of indulging her happily. She makes it a point to wave goodbye to him every single morning standing alongside me with one hand wrapped around my knee and the other waving enthusiastically to everyone in sight. Some days I help her climb the railing of the portico so she can sit and wave in peace. 

The other morning we were sending off S to office and Appu to school with all the usual celebratory waving when my  neighbour passed by in her car. I was lifting Riya onto the railing to perch while I went to water the lawn – it was too cold to let her play in the water – when I happened to notice my neighbour looking on with an expression of disgust that was so palpable I felt like pulling the child away from it. Here was someone whom I generally considered a nice person and I found myself faced with the irrefutable evidence of her dislike of the bright and bubbly creature who was even then waving goodbye to her with a happy smile. The reason was obvious – a maid’s child is not eligible to be loved by someone of our ‘class’ – her dark colour was an obvious stigma – how dare I walk around with her, play with her or carry her! I have heard more than one denizen of this sought-after residential complex bemoan the fact that servants’ kids are allowed too much leeway – they would undoubtedly spoil our kids and they would definitely steal.

I let Riya play with the water that day and she did so happily, oblivious of the distaste of the wonderful neighbours in my immediate environment. The maid next door however is very fond of her and she greets her very warmly each morning when she sees us at our gardening. The one Sunday morning when Mahi, Riya and I were splashing each other on the lawn saw even the dour-faced housekeeping staff who had come to pick up the garbage, breaking out in smiles. By the time we were done we had a little audience just watching and enjoying the sight of three crazy creatures having a bit of fun. The laughter of children can make anyone want to laugh again – silly pure unalloyed pleasure is the blessing of kids – we have it in small bursts of rare joy but they have it always. Somehow I notice that nowadays children are losing that ability earlier in life so that even a five year old seems worldlier and less carefree than I remember myself being at ten. Appu, however, is blessed with that perfect belly-shaking laughter even at twelve and one has to see him with Riya to know how beautiful the sight of simple affection can be.

I respect Riya tremendously – she is two years old and so very independent. She speaks clearly in Bengali and while I have no idea what she says most of the time, she perseveres quite patiently with me till I manage to get the gist of her conversation. She is also immensely intelligent and knows the weeds from the grass naturally, can cross a busy road by herself, can understand the importance of washing hands after my elaborate mime sessions.

Why do we not see even a child with love? Have we all become so cynical and judgmental that only sanitized sights will give us happiness? I pity the neighbour who cannot see the beauty in a soul and only thinks a fair skin is worthy of affection. I feel sad for the day when this little one will comprehend the disgust of those who are deficient but appear wealthy. If only people would learn to see with their hearts, how much happier this world would be...

No comments: