Monday, September 6, 2010

The Road

I couldn’t believe it was 10:30 in the morning as we drove along the winding roads from Baghmandala towards Pannathur. It was all a forest area and I had passed through the same road during different times and different seasons but never in the morning and never on an unusually rainy day in September. The road was hardly visible except for about eight feet ahead because of almost fog-like conditions and it was winding along in a decidedly curvaceous manner. I was craning my neck trying to spot any possible vehicles speeding from the opposite side in an attempt to aid Sushant but was failing miserably because I was so enchanted by the surroundings.



The road was narrow and a steep drop marked the left side. Tiny little cataracts had magically transformed into beautiful waterfalls cascading from the mountainous side to the right. Greens of every hue that beggared description greeted the eye from all sides. Bamboos formed shady archways. Impossibly tall trees broke the skyline. Mist hung in the air and a fine drizzle showered on us throughout. Mountains were visible in the distance shrouded in mystery and the very sights that I had gotten used to after innumerable trips looked like they had been magically transformed.



The air was so invigorating after the stale air-conditioned stuff we normally inhale that my fastidious husband actually let the windows be rolled down despite the mild showers. The children were enjoying the scenery in a way I have never seen before and they were so pleased at seeing the mini-waterfalls that we had to stop and try to take pictures. But no picture can capture that moment of hushed awe at beauty so sublime it just takes your breath away. I can’t find the words to explain how blessed we all felt at that moment – one of those precious moments you can lock away in memory and take out to relive over and over again ...

4 comments:

Shanthi Karunakaran said...

Wow,hidden treasure eh?
Once again,beautifully described!!!! Almost felt the drizzle and the fresh morning air on my face :-)

Anima said...

Thank you Shanthi :-)

Jansi said...

Beautifully described Anima..I could see it in front of me as I read your description..I really enjoy feeling of seeing a lot of hues of lush green around me.And the morning after the rain is the best. I miss home..

Anima said...

Yes the lush green after the rains is such a balm to the soul :-)