Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Golden Caramel Memories


My Caramel was taken from me almost 3 months ago. He was my golden boy, the cat who was a part of my heart, the one whom I remember every day. I try to forget that the lady next door had him taken to a place that she refuses to this date to reveal the address of. I try to forget that she was abusive to my daughter. I tried to forget that her husband messaged me that I better not go in search of my cat and that my children and I had no right to even see pictures of Caramel. But I cannot. I know that the better way to handle this is to let things be. And yet somehow I simply cannot.

The only reason I manage to get by without him is that I have his two daughters Caju (caramel jr) and Ponnu. They look so much like him that it eases my heart. Caju is a miniature version of her dad whereas Ponnu has his voice, his adorable trot and his naughtiness. They both like ghee dosas like their dad. They both climb the window meshes with the same alacrity that their dad used to show. And they both are as cute as their dad was. But what they are not, is friendly. They are 5 months old and while occasionally they allow me to cuddle with them, for the most part, they are independent. They don’t come and lie down on my laptop when I am working. They don’t follow me around and give me special attention when I am ill. They don’t curl up in any little gap they can find as long as its close to me. That was all Caramel. And its so hard to forget all of that.

I wonder what it is in a human heart that can make a person so selfish that they think its okay to hurt others with impunity. I wonder why the lady is continually lauded while my children and I are ostracized for fighting for our cat. Don’t animals have rights? Or do only certain animals belonging to certain people have rights while the rest of us have to hope and pray that their eyes don’t turn upon our pets in anger?

Anger and hatred are corrosive emotions. I know that. I cannot help feeling both of them towards the lady who knowingly hurt my children so callously. I don’t believe in fairness or justice. I know that there is no right and no wrong in this world as it is today. A world where a cat has no right to live and where children are made to cry in their sleep because they do not know how else to cope with the pain of a lost pet.

I tell my children that Caramel is safe and he is plump and he is happy. I tell them many lies so that they hurt less than I do. My golden boy is living the life of his dreams, I tell them. I so wish I had someone to tell me that too…

No comments: