Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Dance of the Gods



After many years of carrying around a fond wish in my heart, I finally got to see a kathakali performance this evening.  I had almost not been able to make it since I thought I’d have no company. My husband is currently away and another friend who was of a like mind was unfortunately in Kerala and therefore I decided against going alone. It was S who said “Post it in Facebook – one of your friends might actually want to go!” So I duly posted it not expecting a single soul to be interested. But just as I posted it, my eternal pal T said she would love to join me and I was thrilled. So we made plans for the Sunday evening performance and en route I gave her sketchy ideas on Kathakali. S is of course an expert but I had never watched a single Kathakali performance and so I approached the programme with a mixture of anticipation and apprehension as to whether it would make sense to a novice.

T and I met up with one more friend of mine and we all sat together. Thankfully he could grasp most of the meanings of the ‘padams’ or song verses and we got a decent enough interpretation. The opening scene of the Daksha Yaga performance featured none other than Kalamandalam Gopi Asan, one of the foremost exponents of the art. His graceful movements and facial expressions belied his age and the elegant little piece that he performed was a perfect beginning. He did not take the stage as Daksha for the rest of the performance however. The entire enactment was mesmerising. Daksha (now played by another artiste), Sati, Shiva, Indra, Veerabhadra and Kali made up the cast along with two pint-sized bhoothaganas who looked more like kutty chathans (they were terribly cute!). 

The final scenes where Veerabhadra and BhadraKali ran to and fro , yelling and brandishing sword and axe and screaming bloody murder right in the midst of the audience was spellbinding. The sheer grace of the dancers who with their limited movements and unlimited expressions managed to convey the story in all its beauty on a cramped stage is simply inexpressible. Three powerful dancers on a tiny stage displaying Daksha’s determination, Veerabhadra’s ferocity and Kali’s bloodlust made for truly a spectacular watch. I sat up in my chair during those scenes feeling the shiver of goosebumps  as the dancers ran this way and that all in time to the rhythm of the chenda and the madalam. The music and the scenes transport you to a different world – a world of passion, fury, glory, compassion, gods, villains and every wonderful thing to a higher degree than imaginable. All three of us enjoyed the performance thoroughly. I definitely wish to go again and learn more about this superb art form. Not knowing anything except the story although enabling me to comprehend, still left me feeling that I wished to know more of the background of the entire art form and to learn more of the beautiful kathakali sangeetham or to be able to appreciate nuances such as the main character always being on the left of the stage or the chenda never being played while a female character of importance took centre stage. 

A perfect Sunday night has drawn to a close and unlike my usual Sunday evenings where I feel a nameless sadness take hold of me, today the demons of low spirits seemed banished to a far off place.

No comments: